The Veteran Oriented Community
Our vision as a social enterprise is to partner with returning veterans to change crime-challenged urban neighborhoods into low-crime, economically integrated communities without displacement or marginalization of existing residents.
While we are at it, we aim to employ veterans, as well as to train them in construction trades, business practices and other skills that will help their transition into the civilian workforce.
And while we are at that, moreover, we try, with respect and humility, to assist in creating an authentic feeling of mission and solidarity.
The idea of “nation-building” is an unwelcome concept in some circles. The Come Home Baltimore Fund is, all the same, engaged in a domestic, grassroots attempt to realize that concept. We lean heavily on the leadership and problem-solving skills of returning veterans to do so.
Our core competencies are:
(i) adapting to the renovation of abandoned houses the cost and quality control practices perfected by suburban production home builders, (ii) marketing renovated houses to new community minded homeowners, including veterans, (iii) using the construction activities as a platform for training and employing veterans; and (iv) using outreach, resources and the publicity of our success to date to grow the number of cooperating groups, with a primary focus on veteran service organizations.
Here are the professional development and home-buying opportunities that we strive to offer to military veterans:
- Training in renovation techniques and business practices necessary to run a profitable renovation/construction business
- Seed capital for entrepreneurship, specifically, advances against profits in first renovation project to provide income during construction
- Back office and operational support for building business, eg, bookkeeping, cooperative buying
- Assistance in connecting with volunteer opportunities in the community
- Home ownership counseling (assistance in qualifying on credit underwriting and in obtaining a no-money-down VA loan)
- Membership in and solidarity with a group engaged in a history-making transformation of urban communities.
To find out more about The Come Home Baltimore Foundation, contact:
The Come Home Baltimore Foundation